What you can expect from us
By connecting with us on our social media accounts you can expect information about our latest news, announcements and activities, including portfolio initiatives. We will also share with you relevant and useful information about our services and programs.
Information and responses to questions will generally be posted on our social media accounts during Australian business hours, 9 am to 5 pm (local time), Monday to Friday. We will respond to questions asked after hours, on the weekend or on public holidays as early as possible.
The information provided on our social media accounts and in our responses is general in nature and can change over time. While the information published on our social media accounts and in our responses is accurate at the time of publication, we ask you to always check how current and relevant the information is for your purposes.
Any posts you make on social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter can be searched and viewed by the public. What you post can remain online indefinitely and can be found through search engines and online archives. We ask that you protect your personal privacy and the privacy of others by not posting personal information on the Department’s social media accounts. We will remove posts that contain personal information or breach our social media user policy.
Social media user policy
This user policy is in addition to any user policy or terms and conditions imposed by the site host. By participating on one of our social media accounts you have agreed to the policy below.
- A suitable standard of conversation should be maintained in plain English at all times.
- Do not publish anything that could offend, humiliate or intimidate another person, or has the potential to affect national security or damage the reputation of our Department or the Australian Government.
- This is an apolitical site and posts that are political in content and/or nature will be removed.
- While social media is an open forum, it’s also a family friendly one, so please keep your comments polite. Racial comments, obscene, or explicit submissions are not allowed.
- Comments that are abusive, hateful or intended to defame any person or organisation will be removed.
- Solicitations or advertisements are not allowed and will be removed. This includes promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Links to non-governmental websites, other Facebook groups or inappropriate posts may be removed.
- You participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments.
- The appearance of external links, such as Facebook ads on our social media pages, do not constitute official endorsement on behalf of the Department of Home Affairs.
We reserve the right to enforce this user policy at our discretion. We may remove any posted messages that are considered to be in breach of this policy. We may also block or delete you as a user if you have breached this policy.
We follow the Australian Public Service policy on social media and online participation. Revisions to the Commission’s guidance on making public comment and participating online. We also uphold the Public Service Act 1999 and the APS Values and Code of Conduct.